To encourage young people led residential events, such as patrol
camps or Explorer Scout expeditions, an Explorer Leader (who holds a
nights away permit) can grant a nights away / events passport to an
under 18 year old.
The ‘nights away / event passport’ allows a young person to
things to remember when applying for a ‘nights away /events passport’
1. Explorer Leaders are volunteers – it can take up to 3 days to process
the passport form.
2. A ‘nights away/events passport’ is awarded to ‘one Explorer’ that
leads the rest of the Explorers on the trip i.e. the person applying for
the passport becomes the leader of the trip.
3. Before granting a passport leaders will need to check that they are
happy that the Explorer has the skills to lead the event safely and
4. There will be ‘spot checks’ by leaders happening on events where
passports have been awarded.
5. Don’t forget for overnight activities e.g. overnight hikes, Explorers
need to apply for a passport.
Where will the event/residential experience/camping trip be?
About the people you are going with